Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Food Network Kitchen & #200!

Alright, to start off with this blog will be my 200th blog post on La Madre Loca!  I have a few yet unpublished gems sitting in draft format, made up mostly of political and sociological rants and some really profound expressions of my desire to change the world.  I might have to go through and just post a few of the drafts just to entertain you, my readers.

My Food Network Kitchen
I tend to spend a lot of time at home in my kitchen.  Cooking, chatting on the phone, eating, cooking some more, dancing with my kids.  When we have people over I tend to start over-explaining to anyone within earshot what exactly it is I'm doing and why I'm doing it.  My friend Morgan (who is in the process of starting her own blog, welcome to the blogging unisphere!) likes to mock me without mercy because I seem to be suffering from delusions of being a Food Network chef.

I don't even have to be cooking something to explain, with intricate detail, what I'm doing when changing a song on the mp3 player, or putting away my dishes, or pulling a bag of chips out of the pantry.  Minute, inane chatter that really could go without saying.

Things like:
I'm going to stir this pot, then I'm going to check to see if I have enough salt in it.
Once these dishes are put away I'm going to sweep the floor.
After I finish this beer I'm going to make the kids a cuppy of milk.
I like to chop my cilantro using scissors, it is much easier than chopping with a knife.

These are all things that I think I have relayed to anyone in the kitchen with me, regardless of whether they really care.  I can't even stop myself.  If you've ever been in my kitchen (and if you have you probably loved whatever I made you, right?!) you'll know that my breakfast counter faces my cooking area, and you've probably been a captive audience to some of the above verbal shenanigans.  If you notice me giving a monologue of every action in the kitchen, please just pretend like you're filming me, which means you can't give your commentary on my commentary.

And please don't say anything about my lack of looking directly in the camera.  I don't claim to be Food Network's next star, but I do like to live with the illusion that I could be if I really, really wanted to.

2 comments:

Jaylene said...

I have no doubt you could be the next Food Network Star....and I your agent! (I'm taking no less than 3%) I'm feeling quite inspired to show up at your door step and witness some of this kitchen chit chat myself. Actually, I just really want some of your food!

Alt-ternative Universe said...

Congrats on 200 fellow blogger!! I wish I'd been writing as much as you in the last few months.