Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crock Pot Weekend Part 2 - Taco Soup

I solicited for ground beef recipes on facebook last weekend and got lots of good ideas. One that I thought sounded just unusual enough to experiment with was Taco Soup. It's crock pot friendly, and as you can see from my ingredient picture includes dry ranch dressing mix.  So this morning I woke up early (5ish) and got started on it.

First I got a little more than a pound of ground beef browned up. I chopped up one of those onions and set that aside. Then I started throwing it together.

Let me be clear: I planned to use the tomato paste but didn't. And the green chiles were in my pantry so I threw them in because green chiles are delicious. They weren't part of the original plan. It's called kitchen improv. Go with it.

All canned goods went in with their liquid, and I added one extra cup of water after mixing it all up since I am cooking it for 6 hours. A friend of mine said she added a can of V-8 so that is also an option.  The meat and onions got added at then end, and now it's cooking on low while I drink coffee and read a book.

Now I wait.  But I will be posting the conclusion of Crock Pot Weekend once some pals come over and tuck in.  I have a feeling my kids will love it, considering they both GOBBLED UP those enchiladas last night. 


1 comment:

Zach Christensen said...

You mean I have to wait until the end of today to find out how it tastes!? Jarrett and I just got a Crock Pot and were looking for ideas...must needs let me know!