Friday, July 13, 2012

Relay for Life

I joke about being the most ungrateful cancer survivor out there.  I say I joke, but I think I totally hold that title.  I don't participate in cancer fundraisers.  I don't know why, beyond laziness and procrastination.  I feel like I was so young when I had it that I don't "connect" with other survivors like people that had it during shared periods with their peers.  I was the only person my age undergoing chemo when I did.  It was really difficult, not having anyone that was having the same feelings of anger that I was because adults had less anger and more resignation towards their own disease.  They fought for their kids and their spouses, and I didn't.  I had an amazing boyfriend and wonderful parents, and they were all wonderful while I duked it with a nuclear tumor in my chest.  I honestly didn't think I would have kids (surprise!).  The fact that chemo erases most of the memories from that time frame makes it almost like a surreal dream, the remembering a tv show that you watched years ago.

My friend Misty wrote me a message at work today.  Misty does participate in cancer fundraisers, and I'm happy to know that I have friends that support finding a cure.  She said the following:

"I walk tonight for my friend Mary. She is an ingrate of a survivor, thumbing her nose at the disease and the ridiculous hoopla involved in being a victim and allowing your life to be defined by it."


I read this and my eyes welled with tears.  I have never been prouder to be an ingrate.  Thanks Misty!

No comments: