Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reading Rainbow

Did you see the Community where Pierce has Lavar Burton visit Troy, and while he loved Reading Rainbow he was terrified of Lavar Burton in real life. Totally funny. My title reminded me of his abject terror at being confronted with Lavar Burton.

The title also relates to the shit ton of reading I've been doing the last couple weeks. First of all, The Millenium Trilogy, by Stieg Larsson, is blowing my mind. I haven't started #3, but so far 1 and 2 have been gripping and full of suspense, intrigue, and MURDER. I decided to watch the movies for books 1 and 2 this last weekend (I use the term "watch" loosely because I was in and out so much, checking on kids, laundry, and deck progress) but the parts I did catch while I left it playing indicated that they were very true to the story.

I've also been getting free e-books through the Parmly Billings Library by downloading them from www.montanalibrary2go.org. I have an app on my phone that let's me read the downloadable books, and so far I've been reading them pretty voraciously. Drawback: having to charge your book to keep reading it.

So far I've read the following:
This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathon Tropper - I've read several Jonathan Tropper novels, I've even written to him a few times via email and he's responded back to me, which is probably the only time a novelist has moved me to write an email to tell them how great he is. His books will make you cry, but they also make you laugh out loud. Highly recommend it.

Vixen by Jillian Larkin - this is first in the series of The Flappers Books, set during prohibition and I will admit, I'm going to keep my eye out for Ingenue, her second book, coming out this fall.

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen - this was like a young adult romance, but I thought it was very sweet, and it made me remember those first tingles when you meet the person that you know you're meant to be with

There are a few books I have on hold, including the newest in the mystery series by Alan Bradly. His first in the series, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is about an 11 year old chemistry genius who solves mysteries and loves poisons. Little Flavia de Luce was an incredibly different little character, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into more of her sleuthing.

Alright, this is it for my little book review. I can't wait to get to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, I've even considered watching the movie before the book (gasp!).

No comments: