Thursday, October 13, 2011

Humbled

My good friend Angie is living in Sierra Leone, which is a pretty BA part of the world.  She's pretty much an authentic pioneer woman, a trailblazer in my opinion, and she has had a pretty outrageous bought with malaria recently.  Via her writing I get to live something through someone I care about, with them.  Even if I don't get to see her daily I get to hear her voice in her writing, and her's is a voice I greatly enjoy.

In her last two most recent posts (#1 here , #2 here) she gives a pretty engaging blow by blow with an almost Dan-Brown-esque series of events that had you eagerly reading to see how it ended.  After reading through the 2nd post I was struck by a powerful sense of gratitude.  Gratitude that I live in a place that makes healthcare available to my family less than 2 blocks from where we live.  Gratitude that I work for an employer that offers me affordable heath benefits and an on-site clinic.  And gratitude for the company that I work for, for providing employers with affordable options for their employee's health benefit plans.

I hope everyone that reads my blog takes a detour over to Angie's and checks out her story.  I encourage everyone I know to not close your eyes to what is going on in other parts of the world, Africa or otherwise.  Whether it's malaria or access to prenatal and maternity care, there are issues that we should make ourselves aware of because whether they are issues for us, our neighbors, or people across a vast ocean, they are issues that impact humanity as a whole.


Peace

1 comment:

Alt-ternative Universe said...

Mary Rose!!! Thanks so much. Thanks for liking my writing, thanks for reading the story, but most of all thanks for thinking about it & encouraging others to think about it. You're a good friend & a good person! (P.S. You made Dave & I cry.)