Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekend in reflection

So we spent the weekend doing pretty much as little as possible, but I'm sure you may be curious on how this is any different than every other weekend at Casa Swan.  Well, one very good pot roast and some painful genitals, those were the two main differences.

Friday night I let Thad go hang out with one of his friends.  When I say "let", I mean I forced him to go hang out with his friend, since Thad doesn't voluntarily contact people to see if they want to get together for a beer or some video game co-op playing.  His friends contact him, or they just never hear from him.  So I told him to get in touch with his buddy and see if he wanted to get together for a beer.  He did, and the kids and I fell asleep watching tv by 9:30, at which point I left Elora on the couch and put a grumpy Colter into his own bed.  Colter had spent the day pooping up a veritable shit-storm for Linda (aka Daycare Lady) and came home with a little rash on his tuckus.  A painful little rash.

When Thad got home he put Elora in her bed and then stood beside me as I slept and sent me a Google Talk message stating "I can see your titties snoring".  What a prince, right?  So I didn't apparently do more than stir when I heard the message come in on my phone, so he went to bed.  Fast forward to 1:00 am.  Both kids wake me with a symphony of cries.  Colter's diaper rash is raw and needs a new application of cream to keep it from being touched by his pee-diaper, and Elora's panty elastic had dug into her skin and hurt her enough to wake her up.  This is a pretty common issue for Elora, which has resulted in the banishment of any panties that have elastic around the leg-holes.  So I'm up, with both kids crying for various genital-related issues, and I wake up Thad to help me by yelling at him that "it's like a whorehouse up in here, everyone's genitals are hurting".  He wasn't happy about it, but that fact seemed quite inconsequential.

Saturday my mom came up with Tona and spent the night with us.  She took Elora out to run some errands, then came back and took Thad over to my brother's house to watch the UFC fights.  My mom has been under a lot of stress lately, and has gone back to school to pursue a Bachelor's degree in nursing, so I'm glad she came and spent a little time relaxing with us, even if I can't be considered a very relaxing person to be around.

Sunday I got to see my good buddy Danielle again (I completely forgot to offer you coffee, D, I'm sorry!) before she went to church and then headed back to Sheridan, WY, and I must express that I love even the short periods of time we get to see each other.  I need to make her a destination for a mommy-weekend getaway (ha, if I ever go on one). 

My mom and I made a big run to Sam's Club on Sunday, where I stocked up on a lot of stuff and picked up a couple chuck roasts to try The Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pot Roast, and boy oh boy was that pot roast JUICY.  I've never been accused of making a succulent pot roast, but this one was truly dynamite.  I will definitely try to make this again with a touch of red wine to deglaze my pan, so I'm glad I have an extra roast in the freezer to cook in the near future (and some ground chuck to try her Frito Chili Pie recipe for an upcoming football-filled Sunday).

And speaking of football, how about those Lions?!  3-0 at the moment after beating the Vikings yesterday.  I add this for my mom's benefit, after her snide comments about my team this year. 

Thad is on call this weekend, which either means I'll stay home and repeat the sensational inactivity of this past weekend, or maybe the kids and I will load up and help my mom in Colstrip.  Since gas money is the determining factor for everything we do it may mean we just stay home, but I like to go to Colstrip without Thad because then I don't have a constant commentary on the things or people I want to make a priority on the trip. 

Can you believe this is the last week of September?  I can't, it's pretty much blowing my mind.  Hopefully I'll be finding out about my surgery in the next couple of weeks, since I'm scheduled for the week before Thanksgiving.  Keep those fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for me, my poor neck and back would greatly appreciate it!!

No comments: