Monday, September 12, 2011

Pork Lovin'

Welcome to a Monday installation of my ramblings, brought to you by.... me, I guess.

Weekends seem to rush by too quickly, and this last weekend was no exception.  Friday night- wedding and reception for Thad's co-worker Jon, followed by bedtime for all.  Saturday morning- 5 am wake up call for the best wife around to wake up darling husband so he could go to work on a Saturday for a few hours.  During this daddy/husband free time I cleaned the kids room, removed all toys from our family living space upstairs, and had a bestie connection with some early morning phone chatting (the old fashioned kind).  Then we had to make a Sam's Club run, followed by an evening of doing pretty much nothing, except PORK.

Let me just say, Thad makes some pretty flipping awesome pulled pork.  Freaking awesome.  I'd go so far as to drop the actual F-bomb in the blog so you really understand how good this pork is, but I think that would be both redundant and gratuitous.

Thad starts his pork shoulder the night before, letting it slow cook on low for 12 hours with onions, garlic, a teeny bit of water, and some seasoning.  This created an absolutely heavenly aroma throughout the house whilst we all slumbered.  I would float in and out of a dream state and the pork was like a part of the dream.  After the 12 hours of initial cooking he put the shoulder in the smoker to give it a little color and flavor, then put the chunks (it was pretty much falling apart with tenderness at this point) in the slow cooker with our choice of bbq sauce.  We're Sweet Baby Ray's fans in Casa Swan, and it is dynomite.

The pulled pork, when completed, is best on a bun with coleslaw ON it.  Not beside it, put it IN the sandwich.  It will rock your world.  I know it rocked our friend's world when we took it over for dinner last night.  There was a lot of moaning  and I don't find shame in admitting I was the one moaning.

In other new: I've been reading a lot lately, via the awesome library selection on my smartphone.  Here are a few that I wanted to mention to my fellow readers:

The Gemma Doyle Series is a young adult/fantasy type series that I've been really enjoying.  Just finished book 2, can't wait to complete the series with book 3.

The Luxe Series is another young adult series about "Old New York", debutantes and heiresses at the turn of the 20th century.  It was pretty good, especially to this chick-lit lover.

The Bones of Faerie is apparently the first in a new series (just found the other book on the library website and haven't read it yet).

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is from the "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" writers.  Short, cute, and pretty much exactly like Nick & Norah.  Only the Lily character had me wondering if she might be developmentally disabled. 

I'll admit, I've been on a young adult kick, mainly because young adult novels are always being added to the library catalog, and are usually more available than regular adult fiction.  Will I start reading other books?  Maybe.  But for right now I'll enjoy my guilty fluff and not worry about whether or not it indicates a lack of intelligence on my part.

Alright, well my blog time is nearly up.  I've been thinking of "I Heart Huckabees" all morning, and if you haven't seen it, I would 100% recommend it, but not when you've just had surgery and can't focus on the hilarity of the search for meaning in our meaningless lives. But it is also 100% harder to quote than most funny movies out there, so I'm not going to try.  Oh, wait, yes I am ;)

"The man-poet who banged France's dark lady of philosophy. The parking lot crusader of truth... who turned his back on his other like a cold-blooded gangsta"- Tommy Corn (Mark Wahlberg)

HAPPY MONDAY!

No comments: