Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year!

Hello everyone! Happy New Year! I know I'm 6 days late in making this statement, but let's just pretend that I was much more on the ball than I actually am.

The New Year has been pretty interesting so far. But let's go back to the make your own sushi party I mentioned at the end of the last post. Adrienne would be pretty pissed knowing these pictures exist and weren't posted, so I'll narrate only the little bits I remember above each picture.

This right here is the spread. It was a pretty big table of goodies.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Sticky Rice.... pretty self explanatory.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

The orange stuff is roe, and the yellow stuff is pickled daikon radish.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

This is a huge plate of some finished rolls. So good!
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

We left the party early due to a small medical emergency with another attendee's child that really kind of put the breaks on the party. Not that it was their fault, it's actually probably better that we left when we did, it was getting late.

So the New Year arrived, and Thad's folks came with it. They came up on Friday and Thad's dad helped him put in two florescent lights in the basement, and a LIGHT SWITCH! We've lived here nearly 4 years and a year ago the light cord snapped off and we just left it on (with an eco-friendly lightbulb, of course). So that's a big change, the light is almost blinding.

Saturday morning started with the cinnamon rolls from the last blog, and they were just as amazing the second time around. This time I halved the icing recipe, and that was just enough. I put Elora down for her nap, and Thad's mom and I snuck out to do a little shopping. I got fresh blueberries at Costco, and some chorizo at World Market for a recipe I saw on Nigella Bite's 7 years ago.

Saturday night meant lasagna, and Sophia came over and played. Sunday morning was the perfect morning to try making homemade, fresh blueberry pancakes. I scoured the internet for an idea of how to make thing... do I cut em up? Slice em? Throw them in whole? Warmer and warmer, my search finally landed on a site that suggested tossing handfuls of blueberries in the batter once it was on the griddle. No pictures, sadly, but the next time I make these I will definitely get some pictures up.

Well, I'm pooped, and rightly so. Thad and I, and Elora too, are going to have a new addition to the family. Granted, it's still early and I hesitate to share the news, but since it's something everyone I know is aware of it seems pointless not to include this little bit of news. We're over the moon, really really really excited. I haven't had a chance to start hoping or dreaming or planning, I'm just enjoying knowing I've got a little peanut growing in there.

Well, much love to everyone, I'm going to finish watching Hidden Potential on HGTV, then bedtime!

2 comments:

Jen Strange said...

you're so cute with all your food and cooking. Me, I'm like . . . and then we went to Chick-fil-a . . . yesterday we went to Red Robin . . . my kid eats two meals a day at school . . . LOL!

Anonymous said...

I was gonna comment on the sushi, and then the blueberries, and then the peanut....but you said "over the moon" and I LOL'd.

P.S. I think one of our blogs should feature the fact that elora likes me now. DIBS