Friday, January 23, 2009

Getting ready for the transition

So, it's going to be February in just a few short days, and are you ready for the DTV transition? That's right, folks, if you were previously LIVING UNDER A G.D. ROCK and had bunny ears attached to a tv built into a wooden console (the only type of tv justified in still having bunny ears) you had better look at getting yourself a fancier setup. As of February 17th, 2009, television networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX are switching their signal to digital from analog. This means you need a tv with a built in digital tuner, an external tuner, or GET SOME G.D. CABLE WHYDONCHA?!

February is going to be a busy month, so hopefully it goes by fast. Thad catches up to me in age, Superbowl Sunday kicks off the month, and god-willing that Punxsutawney Phil doesn't see his shadow and I see spring that much more quickly. I'm ready for spring, I'm ready for rain and green and leaves and flowers.

In baby news, we are 8 weeks and 3 days along, according to the nurse that gave me an original due date of FEBRUARY 10TH. I almost pooped, although I knew it wasn't right, because that would be the perfect due date for my impatient self. Despite the fact that the fetus would come out like a kangaroo joey and I'd have to put it into a pouch and keep it safe for a while. That was disturbing imagery, I'm sorry for that. We didn't hear a heartbeat yesterday, which is fine and nothing to worry about, although I was really hoping. So I'll be in to see the doctor at 11 weeks (or 10 weeks and 5 days, this is so confusing) and we'll try again. I hear finding a heartbeat on the second pregnancy can be tough. But I also heard you start feeling the baby earlier because you know what you should be feeling. Can't wait for that.

Oh, and Elora turned 2 on 1/19! She had some friends come from out of town (Cecilia and Margaret May, Tanner and Felix's kids) and we had cake, ice cream, and pizza, and they played and played until Elora was plum wiped out. She is starting to sing, she loves the alphabet song, she knows her numbers pretty well for being 2, and I don't know if I mentioned this before but she is A SASSY LITTLE CHILD. Holy moly, she's growing an attitude like her mother. Argumentative just for the sheer fun of it, into everything she knows she shouldn't be, and then she does something like getting behind me on the couch and rubbing my shoulders (while saying "shoulders", no less) and every thing that was previously bugging me to within an inch of beating her is wiped away, and she's smitten me again.

We don't know her feelings yet on having a sibling, but I did ask her yesterday while she was talking to my mom on the phone if she wanted a baby brother or baby sister. She said sister, so for what that's worth she wants a sister. My mom also said "oh, well, I guess if you don't have a boy this time you'll have to try again", to which I replied "ABSOLUTELY NOT". Uh-uh. Two. That's my limit. One per parent when it comes to vacations and family outings. Two is manageable, and one day if we ever feel like we need more chicks in the nest I'll either a) let Thad bring a girlfriend home for a polyamorous relationship (as long as she cleans, cooks, and babysits) or b) he'll have to come around to the idea of adoption.

My feeling has always been that there are so many kids out there that need homes it wouldn't really be fair to not give one of them a home and the love that they are in such desperate need for. I'd even like to look at foster care one day, but I want my kids to be old enough to be out of danger of sexual abuse, which is unfortunately a real part of my fear when it comes to bringing a child into our home. But my parents were both very open with their home, we tried several times to bring in foster children, but a lot of those situations involved kids that just needed additional care in addition to the foster home they were currently in, and so we never had a permanent fit until 10/13/2000. My mom brought home a little Northern Cheyenne girl, only 6 months old, and she became my sister. That little girl is going to be 9 years old this year, and she lives with my parents. She loves playing with animals, High School Musical, and Spongebob Squarepants. Soon she will be legally adopted by my parents, and I hope that one day I can provide the same change for someone else.

Well, it's a work day, so I am going to get ready to go to work. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Tread lightly with that clause about the other woman cooking and cleaning. It has been my experience the only thing she will clean is your husband's whistle. Is that the right metaphor??
Yay Tona!!