Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Maybe I Will

I'm seriously considering returning to higher education. There are several reasons for this "decision" (I say that word using it as the loosest definition of what it means possible), none of which are very interesting. But since you're so interested here are those boring reasons:

-The desire to make more money. I'm not numbering this list, but you can consider this the unofficial #1 reason. I've gotten better at being lower-middle class, but I'd really like to reach upper-middle class income again, like back in the days. Or, dare I say it, lower-UPPER class. Did that last sentence just give you shivers, or is it just me?

- I want to utilize the sweet skill I've got. I know I'm not all that and a bag of potato chips, but I'd also like to believe I'm a slightly bright. I have a head full of facts, ideas, useless trivia, that I use to about 43% of it's capacity on a daily basis. I'd like to increase that to 76%. That expectation seems low enough to be reachable.

- I already have some credits. I have some credits with a few various institutions that I could probably apply to whatever I pursue, at least get me one year away from an associates degree. Those credits are like money in a bank that is accumulating no interest, but since it's there I might as well access it. I can't use those credits to buy groceries, but I could use them to make more money to buy groceries, which is just as good.

That's actually a pretty short list, but it's simple and it is to the point. My employer offers a tuition reimbursement program, so I could look into that and see if I can dip my toe in the lake of online college in the spring. For now I'm actually going to try a Continued Education course offered by my local library, Parmly Billings Library. If you don't have a library card, I would suggest you get one. They are pretty much the bees knees.

On the home front, Colter is sleeping in a big boy bed! He may not be going to bed before 10 pm on a nightly basis, but by God he is sleeping in the big boy bed. His vocabulary has expanded, not by leaps and bounds, but when he give you a kiss he says "ank you", he says "bye!" with fervor and zeal, he loves to answer questions with "NO WAY", and when it's bedtime, or an hour and a half AFTER bedtime, he says "nigh". Potty training will be our next adventure, but I've been in no rush to start potty training before he turns 2. Which will happen in 19 days! I can't believe the little spud is that old, it seems like yesterday Elora was kissing my belly and we were getting a baby room ready.

Guess who looks just like his daddy?
From Drop Box


Big Boy Bed Blues
From Drop Box


This would be his pouty face
From Drop Box




Elora got to run with her dad in the Dirty Dash this weekend. He ran the actual 5k Dirty Dash, complete with hay bale obstacles, mud pits, military-like walls and tubes to crawl through, beer chug, water slide, and MUD PIT. Elora ran in the Piglet Plunge, and boy she sure did a good job. She's reluctantly athletic, she doesn't actually WANT to do a lot of athletic stuff, but when she does she rocks it. I foresee a lot of this type of contrast in her future.

Elora, pre-race pose
From Drop Box


Mommy's little mudskipper
From Drop Box


Not quite filthy yet
From Drop Box


100% FILTHY
From Drop Box


We've got at least one more weekend camping trip planned at the moment, Labor Day weekend. I can't wait, even though we don't know where we're going, I'm so excited to get back on a mountainside that I could practically spit.

Alright, Elora just told me dinner is ready, so it's time to wrap this up. Have a groovy evening, do something nice, like eat ice cream or take a nice long shower.

4 comments:

LaViolett said...

You will NAIL school. And unnumbered reason number four... you have always given so much of yourself to your professions, you SHOULD be getting the recognition that a degree brings to a career. And when it comes to promotions, you'll have that competitive edge. Go for your masters, I believe that is where lower upper class is. I hope we can still be friends when you are all rocking coach bags and shopping at clinique counters.

LaViolett said...

Oh, and your kids are cute.

Jen Strange said...

you'll do great back in school! Once you've handled kids and running a household, academics are cake.

I love the pictures of the mud! But oh my word, her pose before the race . . . she's a mess LOL

Jen Strange said...

P.S. I just realized that my use of the phrases "oh my word" and "she's a mess" make me sound Southern. 14 years here has broken me.