Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thai on the Fly

I am so witty! We've been kind of experiencing a stand-off of sorts in Casa Swan. The stand-off is about going to the store. Neither Thad nor I want to go to the store to get groceries after a long day of work. So we've been really trying to use some pantry items to stretch out what we have in the house until we absolutely must must MUST go to the store.

As a result of said stand-off, I've been whipping up some stuff I've been quite proud of, and last night was no exception.

From Drop Box


This, ladies and gentleman, is my Thai on the Fly. I did the following:

I cooked up some Coconut Rice (you'll have to search Food Network for the recipe, because I don't have time to link that shizz up) and while that was going I started some oil heating in my dutch oven. I added green curry paste, a little bit of soy sauce, fish sauce, tamarind paste, and a dollop of ginger preserves (in lieu of fresh ginger). To this concoction I ladled in a little of the excess coconut milk that was still cooking with the rice, and then cooked some sliced chicken up in it.

Last but very not least, I used the only remaining fresh vegetable in my house, green onions, to garnish, and VOILA!

I will admit, the smell was potent and there were complaints from some whiners in the house, but both those whiners ate their chicken just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Sometimes I LOVE pantry cooking. It puts some pretty creative stuff on the table. We'll be pantry cooking this week, that's for sure, haha.