Tuesday, August 21, 2012

8/21/12

Here we are.  August 21st.  The day before the first day of school.  Kindergarten.  And Colter's birthday.  Three.  I wish I could skip ahead to the weekend, because all of this is too much for a weekday.  A Tuesday, to be precise.

Last night was kindergarten orientation.  We took Elora to meet her teacher, a nice lady named Miss Redmond, and we know the little boy sitting next to her via Thad being friends with his mom for a long time.  So we keep racking items up in the "plus" column, immediately followed by a little ice cream and a quick trip to the YMCA to Meet the Counselor night.  Elora is going to be attending their program after school, and after seeing their facility and getting a run down of the process I am way less nervous than I was even during my drive home from work yesterday.

Nervous.  That's how I am for the first day of school.  I am trying very hard not to let on that I am, and I think I've succeeded thus far.  Elora expresses nothing but excitement.  We have talked about not talking when the teacher talks, raising her hand, saying her first and last name, I think she will be well prepared for the first day.  But I will probably spend the day with tears in my eyes.  Like I'm typing, right now.

And Colter B.  Wow, three years old.  I am conflicted on this age, because it feels like I've spent years telling him "no" and "stop", but also no time at all from when we was the teeny little spud who made all the summer heat while 10 months pregnant worthwhile.  He speaks, and says things like "I carry you drnstairs" which means I need to carry him UPSTAIRS.  We giggle during the upstairs trip, because I always argue with him that I carry him, and he argues back that he carries me.  He is a laugher, too.  He was chuckling over something during a car trip and said, "Mommy, I laffin".  He is his own commentary.  Still working on the potty, he will sit, but may have a touch of daddy's ADD because he doesn't want to sit for long. 

And me, well, I'm looking forward to this week being over.  I want to be a few weeks away from today, when our routine has been established and we are falling into it easily.  For now, I had better get moving if I plan to go to Walmart before daycare to get this poor kid some treats.   Mommy didn't homebake shit.  Sorry, bud, but you know your mother.

No comments: