Saturday, February 11, 2012

Perfect weekend

We haven't even made it to Sunday and this weekend feels like a warm pair of sweatpants after taking off cold wet clothes.  Hopefully that means that tomorrow will continue this awesome, super relaxed vibe.

Last night we had our friends from Wyoming in town and staying at our house, so I got a sitter and we hit The Vig for some dinner and beers.  Dena had her first New Age cocktail (New Age wine on the rocks with a twist) and their cheese stuffed mushrooms are the stuff my dreams are made of.  We ran into some folks we know at dinner, so it was a super fun night of visiting and catching up.  Dena and her family are moving from Greybull to Sheridan, which will be fun since we're just a quick jaunt down the interstate now and I happen to love Sheridan.  Win win!

After a late night Dena and I woke up bright and early (admittedly my wake up time was ridiculously earlier than Dena's) and headed across town to pick up her Bountiful Basket.  Have you checked out BB?  If not, click the link and prepare to have a door to more affordable healthier eating/cooking opened in front of you.  After BB pickup with made another pickup, this time of the kid variety, getting her boys from her brother since they had a boy cousin sleepover party the night before.  Today was the birthday of Dena's 3rd zoo member, Trypp, and he and Elora are now both 5 and starting school this fall.  Crazy.

Before we left for the BB pickup I started a crock pot full of French Toast Bake (please let me know in the comments if that link doesn't work).  It was like the most cinnamony delicious bread pudding ever.  Huge hit with our houseguests.  For dinner I tried out another slow cooker recipe for Baked Potato Soup and it was dynamite.  Super easy and delicious.

So the whole slow cooker thing has been my recent obsession, and I guess I'll explain why.  We joined the YMCA and I am trying to work through a few recipes on the weekends that I can potentially use during the week.  One of the huge advances I'm making in my approach to slow cooking is in the form of a little light timer I bought at Walmart for $10.00.  I leave for work at 7:15 every day, and I have a pretty substantial commute to work each day that would make it unrealistic to drive home to start a slow cooker.  But some recipes can't cook for the 11 hours we may be out of the house each day so I'm going to use the timer to start the slow cooker at a specific time when we're at work.  Brilliant!

Well, it's 9:20 on a Saturday night and I'm actually considering curling up in my bed for an early nights sleep.  My kids have other plans though, since they like to stay up late whenever they have the chance.  Here's hoping for a wonderful Sunday to finish out this fuzzy feeling of contentment in Casa de la Swan this weekend!

1 comment:

Donaleen said...

The picture of the French toast didn't show up, but it sounds delicious!